Thursday, August 4, 2011

Journal Excerpts: A Glimpse into the Life of Your Average Teenage Novelist

Hello Dear Reader

Walter J. Scott here. As you have most likely noticed if you are a follower of my blog, I have not posted anything. For over two weeks now.

Terribly sorry. This conspicuous lack of literary material is due to my currently underactive imagination.

In regular English? I've hit a writers block.

So, my solution to this problem is to share with you, my devoted reader, snippets and sections from my personal journal. I will, unfortunately, be having to clean up the pieces as I go along, seeing as all of journal entries are written around midnight. Also, all names will be changed to protect the privacy of the individuals and other politically correct mumbo-jumbo.

Enjoy!

July 30th, 2011

While me and my dad were driving through the Wal-Mart parking lot, we passed by a homeless man standing on the curb, holding a poorly scrawled cardboard sign. Now, this in itself did not faze me. I mean, as sad as it is, it's not like I didn't know poor people existed, right?
But as we were driving away, I looked down to turn on some music on my iPod. That seemingly simple act rocked me to my core, and I stopped, dumbfounded. That little piece of electronic magic costed enough money to feed and clothe this man for over a month. A whole month! And here I am, with a closet full of clothes and other junk that easily amounts to several hundred dollars. And it just sits there. Doing nothing. Benefiting no one.
It struck me then, not just how amazingly gracious God is to me, but also how incredibly selfish I am. Because that isn't all that's in my closet. No. On a small shelf in the corner, hidden in the shadows, covered in dust from hardly ever getting opened, is a little mason jar...

... marked Giving.

Quiet honestly? It broke my heart. Here I am, with all these innumerable blessings being literally poured over my ungrateful head, and still I cringe at the thought of giving it away. Sometimes, I sicken myself.
But now I know: I have to do something. I have to try and give back some of what the Lord has given me. It has to be for His glory, otherwise it's meaningless.And what better way than to do that then to pass them on to those who truly need them. It's not all for my consumption. So, from now on, I'm going to start carrying around my little jar, and the next homeless person I see, it's his.

End Journal entry

Well, that's it for today. I hope you enjoyed your short glimpse into my not-so-illustrious life.
Until next time, dear reader,
I remain your humble servant
~
Walter J. Scott

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's really compelling. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah. I've felt this before. Guilt for misuse of blessings... It's beyond incredible how gracious God is to us!!

    ReplyDelete